The Nordic Rock Tech Centre AB (RTC) was formed in 2005 by parties with a direct interest in the Swedish mining industry, aiming to reinforce competency and international competitiveness in the field of rock engineering and mining technology. Today, RTC AB is a limited company owned by the Bergforsk Foundation, Atlas Copco, NCC and ABB, while the Bergforsk Foundation is owned by Boliden Mineral, LKAB, Zinkgruvan and Luleå University of Technology. Our owners have seats on RTC’s Board of Directors, and although they all are shareholders, it is important to note that since the start, RTC has been a non-profit company, and that any surplus that may be made, is reinvested in to new projects. Our vision & mission guides the formation of the technical programs and individual projects, and our goal is to improve the business results of our project stakeholders through joint efforts in identifying mining and tunneling challenges, proposing effective solutions, and the implementation of solutions, or simply: Moving Theory into Practice.
RTC is an internationally well-established company, with owners and associates from the mining and construction engineering industry. RTC has a large international network and creates unique values for its stakeholders in the fields of mining and construction engineering. RTC identifies and solves rock technology problems by running joint projects in technical development and implementation. RTC is seen as the strongest alternative as regards running collaboration projects further development and implementation of new technology in the industry and is in demand among international industrial partners as a project coordinator and manager for joint projects.
The most important tasks within the framework of RTC business idea are to:
- Identify problems that are most efficiently solved (with regard to time, cost, quality and competence) through collaboration between different stakeholders
- Initiate, establish and lead projects within mining and construction engineering and related areas.
- Develop a strong national and international network of stakeholders from mining companies, supplier companies and research organisations.
- Introduce and demonstrate new or further developed technology in cooperation with project partners.
Our Business model
RTC offer services that will help customers to initiate and run the kind of collaborative R&D projects that are described in our business idea. The model is a mix of traditional consultant model with “paid by hour” in combination with fix prices for whole or part of the projects.
RTC sells the service to identify, initiate and drive innovation and development. The work has three phases.
- Identification of needs and formulation of the project idea and project.
- Sales and construction of the project consortium financing the project.
- The management and implementation of the project.
Phase one and two carried out before the contract is signed. This work is funded by the so-called entry fee (Entrance fee) for each project. The first step in each project shall be to develop a complete project plan. In addition RTC also take a management and administrative fee to carry out the project, step 3 above. These fees cover all costs for RTC connected to a certain project.